DIRECTORS & OFFICERS
As a Director or Officer of a nonprofit organization, are you IMMUNE from liability?
- Immunity does not prevent an organization from being sued
- Immunity typically applies to volunteers, not to paid employees or the organization itself
- Employment-related laws are the same for any type of organization
- Over 90 percent of the claims against nonprofit organizations are employment practices-related
- There employment practices claims may include wrongful termination, third party sexual harassment and third party discrimination
- Nearly 85 percent of nonprofit have an annual budget that is less than the average cost to defend a claim closed by litigation